1. Brieï¬‚y define the components of blood:
Plasma, Erythrocytes, Leukocytes, Platelets
2. What are all the names for erythrocytes?
3. What is the main function of RBCs?
4. Describe the two parts of a hemoglobin molecule?
s. What is the function of the hemoglobin molecules in the red blood cells?
6. Why do we need hemoglobin to carry oxygen?
7. What are the four other molecules hemoglobin can bind with and describe the results of it
binding to these molecules?
8. Why do erythrocytes lack organelles and nuclei?
9. How do erythrocytes supply the ATP to fuel the their active transport mechanisms?
10 . Why do red blood cells me carbonic anhydrase?
11. Why do red blood cells have such a short life span?
12. How does the body replace erythrocytes at a rate of 2 – 3 million per minute?
13. Define anemia:
14. List the six types of anemia and give a brief description
15. Define polycythemia:
16. What determines blood type?
17. What is a leukocyte and what is its physiologic function?
18. What are the five types of leukocytes and describe their functions:
20. Polymorphonuclear Granulocytes (only live for a few days)
21. Define platelets and thrombocytes and its 4 things that make them unique:
22. Define hemostasis:
23. What is the bodies first action taken to stop bleeding and how is done?
24. Define thromboembolism and list its causes.